Thursday, September 8, 2016
TBT: Back to 1956
The last of the three photos sent to me by my cousin. I added a sepia filter, straightened and cropped this one but left it with the trio centered. That was the standard way photos were taken back then, making sure to get your subject centered in the photo. At least nothing is 'growing' out of any of their heads.
My Nana on the left was 58 years old then. She had been a widow for nine years and despite Social Security legislation being passed in 1935, she had virtually no income. With a 4th grade education, she had only worked in a silk mill for a few years before her marriage at age 18. My coal-miner grandfather never received a pension when he died of MS and Black Lung. She only had health benefits when Medicare was passed in 1965. Nana was totally dependent on the good will of her daughters and daughter in law. She lived with one or the other from 1947 until she died in 1972.
Without family, I wonder what happened to other women like her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2016
(206)
-
▼
September
(14)
- TBT: Golden Days in England 1969
- Wordless Wednesday: If Only...
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Final Day in Budapest
- AAM Monday: Project Life Continues - Week 36
- Yesterday to Today
- TBT: A Yorkshireman in 1972
- Wordless Wednesday: The Doll House
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Finishing Up a Busy Day i...
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 35
- TBT: Back to 1956
- Wordless Wednesday: September 7, 2016
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Bus rides, Pastries, Marke...
- AAM Monday : Project Life Week 34
- TBT: Summer 1956
-
▼
September
(14)
Popular Posts
-
What a fun idea to do for an art journal! I saw this here , and couldn't wait to try it. I had some Hawaii tags that had been printed o...
-
Week 4 had lots of good things. The lunch at the Seafood Palace, the way the cat loves to sleep here, there and most anywhere, the art finis...
-
Our life changed a good deal in early January so my time became very busy. These two weeks tell that story in a very abbreviated fashion. I...
-
Hop hop hop. I decided to join in this one which is unusual for me but thought what the heck. Try something different. I think I am about on...
-
All in all, I am happier barefoot and if we didn't have an old cat who is prone to regurgitation, I'd be barefoot a lot. But this i...
-
So far this year, I've only done one page for each week. I wasn't sure how that would go but I seemed to be pulled in so many direc...
-
Feeding America It's that time of year again. A good time. The sun is out, the gardens are starting to look like they have halfway forgo...
-
Well here it is December and my 30 Days of Thankful is complete. I may print these myself as I have a new HP Envy Printer and 3 months of f...
-
Sometime you just have to change things about, and this is one of them. I think I will always be able to find five facts for Friday to sha...
-
While I have been keeping my OLW, One Little Word , of LEARN in my mind over the past couple of months, a lot of serious travel has kept m...

No comments:
Post a Comment