My paternal Nana was a formidable woman. She was the child of Irish immigrants married to an Irish immigrant. Over 6' tall, she ruled the house and also the bar she ran. As a child, I heard of it as Bubbie's Tavern. While she ran it when her husband was a coal miner, it was my other grandfather, also a coal miner but a Lithuanian immigrant, who drank in it. Not surprisingly back in the 1920s and 30s, this caused a lot of animosity between the two women who would become in laws when my parents married. There was no love lost between my mother and her mother in law.
I imagine this photo was taken during or after WWII. It looks like a ship in the background but my father and his two brothers were all in the US Army and fortunately all survived. My Nana is the woman in the center, tall and with arms that could hoist beer barrels according to my late father. She was a lousy cook in my experience because when we would come up from MD to visit, I recall only soft boiled eggs with runny whites and a dismal rice pudding that you could drink rather than eat. She and an ever-present woman in the house, Annie Mac, who may have been a relative, sat in the kitchen always drinking endless cups of tea. This Nana also loved a 'rummage sale' and would usually have a supply of broken crayons for me. My mother considered this junk but it got me aways from the miserable food and happily drawing for the rest of our visit.
I only found this photo recently and have no living relatives who would know anything about it. But from this photo I can see that I'm glad I never crossed her. She was certainly a woman to be reckoned with.
Thursday, December 10, 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2015
(209)
-
▼
December
(17)
- Time for a Break
- That First Christmas
- TBT: New Pajamas for Christmas 1972
- December Daily 9, 10, 11
- December Daily 6, 7 and 8
- TBT Back in the 60s
- Wordless Wednesday: Vive La France!
- December Daily Day 5
- December Daily 2015: Slowing Making Progress
- Five on Friday: December 11, 2015
- TBT: My Paternal Grandmother
- Wordless Wednesday: December Desktop
- Tips on Tuesday December 8, 2015
- AAAM Monday Project Life Week 46
- Five on Friday: December 4, 2015
- TBT: 1970s Cooker I Miss
- Wordless Wednesday: Make Your Outlet, well, Different
-
▼
December
(17)
Popular Posts
-
When you clean up your hard drive, it's always good to pitch items that are no longer useful. Maybe the ones that you know you won't...
-
The Mayo Lectures... could this have been the start? Look at the grasshoppers, ears attuned to the words of the master. Hmmm....all the gra...
-
Week 4 had lots of good things. The lunch at the Seafood Palace, the way the cat loves to sleep here, there and most anywhere, the art finis...
-
bettythegeek picked this week's theme in threebutton's meme. Well done ladies! Well, the first thing that sprang to mind was from ...
-
So many things could go here...obviously family, spouse, children, grandchildren, and all the people who are in my 'family by choice....
-
Well here it is December and my 30 Days of Thankful is complete. I may print these myself as I have a new HP Envy Printer and 3 months of f...
-
Yes, this is the last post for the yearly November project. Glad to have done it and glad it's finished! That's my usual response fo...
-
Our life changed a good deal in early January so my time became very busy. These two weeks tell that story in a very abbreviated fashion. I...
-
Something I'm surprised I like...Cleveland Ohio. Today's This is...comes from Victoria at Earl and Cookie and more players can be f...
-
I thought about trying out Travelers' Notebooks last year and went ahead to buy an album in December. That's a good sign I'm act...

No comments:
Post a Comment