Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Travel With Me Tuesday: Exploring Harrogate

After a good night's sleep via Ambien for me, we awoke to an overcast damp day in Harrogate. That was fine with me as it was more or less the kind of weather I remembered. Dick was up and out earlier than I was but as my tea was made, I was content. One of the first things I did was put all my travel stickers and labels into a ziplock bag. I try to keep all my various receipts and ephemera in there so little bits don't make clutter in my purse or get forgotten.


After eating at our own pace we went out to walk down into town, and the walk took us through the Valley Gardens which was across from our front door - if we had had access to our front door. This airbnb was entered at the back, as the once single family home had been converted into flats.


The Pinewoods, known to us back then as the Piney Woods, was UP the hill and while we never went in that direction on this trip, I often took that walk back in the day. I had time, an under 1yr old baby  and a then-husband working shift work and often asleep in the daytime. 



No school children about and the mums and pre-schoolers must have been home with Christmas prep.



The gardens are so peaceful in the winter, full of various shades of green and lots of benches for sitting and quietly thinking.


The sound of the waterfall was always a treat.


Then once down and out of the Valley Gardens and back up into town, we explored. Not a lot came back to me but once in a while a memory flashed back and it seemed familiar. 40 years is a long time!


Everything stops for tea...and more so for lunch. This gave me a good laugh and I wondered what project they were working on as they were sitting inside a building being renovated. n.b. the man on the far right with his flask of tea or coffee. So so typical. This reminded us it was time for our lunch. Dick agreed with me that Betty's sounded just right.


He had sausages and mash with red cabbage. 


I had bacon rosti with red cabbage.


And we both had a pot of tea. Decaf for me and Lapsong Souchang for him. Sadly no pastries for either of us. We did try to be good  - on occasion!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts