When I first arrived in Malawi, I had a job with the Director of the United States Information Agency and the Voice of America, Lillard Hill. We had a small office with just three of us and it was good to have a job in a country with very little to do.
My boss was an old newspaper man and a cigarette holder smoking sweetie. He had a daunting job in a country ruled by a dictator and no freedom of the press. Censorship was severe with criticism of the government leading to a disappearance. Moral censorship was also rampant and magazines or books always had images or words blacked out by an airport censor. I suspect that was an interesting job!
As for me I did a variety of things including monitoring a short wave radio. Mr. Hill was patient, explained my duties carefully and then let me get on with it. It was my first, but not last government job.
Betty Hill was also a Texas sweetheart and we traveled together by Land Rover to Zambia when the chance came up, in attempt to see the Big 5 of Africa, the African lion, African elephant, Cape buffalo, African leopard, and White/Black rhinoceros. The Hills were a couple to remember!
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Nurnberg Part 2
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 20
- Wordless Wednesday: May 25, 2016
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Nurnberg
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 19
- Five on Friday: May 20, 2016
- TBT: Leaving Bangkok 1978
- Wordless Wednesday: May 18, 2016
- Travel with Me Tuesday: Bamberg
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 18
- Five on Friday: May 13, 2016
- TBT: Working the Radio in Africa
- Wordless Wednesday: And It Was Closed...
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Rothenburg
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 17
- TBT: Almost Heaven, West Virginia 1973
- Wordless Wednesday: Cat Hearing a Child
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Farewell Heidelberg Hello ...
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 16
- ▼ May (19)
- ► 2015 (209)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- ► 2012 (248)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- ► 2008 (338)
Our day started with a pickup by our driver and then later a switch to a shuttle bus to take us into York. We passed the train station an...
Once again, it was a Monday that was crazy with a trip to the Apple store to see if my iMac was ok. Yes, it was - big sigh of relief. App...
Back in 2011, I got a recipe from a woman on line and decided to make this baklava. None of it is very hard other than keeping the phyllo...
eat more veggies
I can't believe a week went by without another blog post. Where was I and what was I doing? Oh yes, cleaning up the wreckage left a...
Valentine's week but without red. I really liked this soft peachy color this week. We did have our normal lunch at the Severn Inn a...
Cleaned up the worktable pre trip. I love seeing the wood again! One bit remaining from punching a bunch of items to send on to little ...
My lad was out in Western MD for a few days, visiting friends and riding his bike. When he does this, he invariably comes home early and I g...
Breast cancer....no, no, I don't have it but I have a mammogram scheduled for next month. Trust me, they are not that bad, and for the ...
All about me, and some recent movies. Usually I don't have a great deal of interest in the Oscars, and find that many of the movies do...