When I first arrived in Malawi, I had a job with the Director of the United States Information Agency and the Voice of America, Lillard Hill. We had a small office with just three of us and it was good to have a job in a country with very little to do.
My boss was an old newspaper man and a cigarette holder smoking sweetie. He had a daunting job in a country ruled by a dictator and no freedom of the press. Censorship was severe with criticism of the government leading to a disappearance. Moral censorship was also rampant and magazines or books always had images or words blacked out by an airport censor. I suspect that was an interesting job!
As for me I did a variety of things including monitoring a short wave radio. Mr. Hill was patient, explained my duties carefully and then let me get on with it. It was my first, but not last government job.
Betty Hill was also a Texas sweetheart and we traveled together by Land Rover to Zambia when the chance came up, in attempt to see the Big 5 of Africa, the African lion, African elephant, Cape buffalo, African leopard, and White/Black rhinoceros. The Hills were a couple to remember!
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Nurnberg Part 2
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 20
- Wordless Wednesday: May 25, 2016
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Nurnberg
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 19
- Five on Friday: May 20, 2016
- TBT: Leaving Bangkok 1978
- Wordless Wednesday: May 18, 2016
- Travel with Me Tuesday: Bamberg
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 18
- Five on Friday: May 13, 2016
- TBT: Working the Radio in Africa
- Wordless Wednesday: And It Was Closed...
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Rothenburg
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 17
- TBT: Almost Heaven, West Virginia 1973
- Wordless Wednesday: Cat Hearing a Child
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Farewell Heidelberg Hello ...
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 16
- ▼ May (19)
- ► 2015 (209)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- ► 2012 (248)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- ► 2008 (338)
Not the best week in my life but what is, is. Some good breakfasts and I finally got the get up and go to hang the winter shower curtai...
All about me, and some recent movies. Usually I don't have a great deal of interest in the Oscars, and find that many of the movies do...
Wow. There wasn't a lot of blogging last week and I really can't say why. But in any case here are the pages from Week 5. That ...
I wanted fish and chips the way it was in the old days. Ok, they no longer sell fish and chips wrapped in newspaper and the vinegar is...
Thursday is my normal day to work on old photos or slides. Since I have a few pages that can now go from blogpost to scrapbook page and I ha...
February needs a good bit of red in my mind. While we don't do a lot to celebrate Valentine's day/month, I do like to brighten ...
December 8, 2016 our driver picked us up in Harrogate for a day in York. I had said I wanted to stop at #7 Crestholme Close but as we drove ...
I had great intentions of doing Week 5 yesterday but as with many good plans it's still a thought not an action. Somehow the mornin...