When I first arrived in Malawi, I had a job with the Director of the United States Information Agency and the Voice of America, Lillard Hill. We had a small office with just three of us and it was good to have a job in a country with very little to do.
My boss was an old newspaper man and a cigarette holder smoking sweetie. He had a daunting job in a country ruled by a dictator and no freedom of the press. Censorship was severe with criticism of the government leading to a disappearance. Moral censorship was also rampant and magazines or books always had images or words blacked out by an airport censor. I suspect that was an interesting job!
As for me I did a variety of things including monitoring a short wave radio. Mr. Hill was patient, explained my duties carefully and then let me get on with it. It was my first, but not last government job.
Betty Hill was also a Texas sweetheart and we traveled together by Land Rover to Zambia when the chance came up, in attempt to see the Big 5 of Africa, the African lion, African elephant, Cape buffalo, African leopard, and White/Black rhinoceros. The Hills were a couple to remember!
- ► 2017 (147)
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Nurnberg Part 2
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 20
- Wordless Wednesday: May 25, 2016
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Nurnberg
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 19
- Five on Friday: May 20, 2016
- TBT: Leaving Bangkok 1978
- Wordless Wednesday: May 18, 2016
- Travel with Me Tuesday: Bamberg
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 18
- Five on Friday: May 13, 2016
- TBT: Working the Radio in Africa
- Wordless Wednesday: And It Was Closed...
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Rothenburg
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 17
- TBT: Almost Heaven, West Virginia 1973
- Wordless Wednesday: Cat Hearing a Child
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Farewell Heidelberg Hello ...
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 16
- ▼ May (19)
- ► 2015 (209)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- ► 2012 (248)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- ► 2008 (340)
SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 "They landed with such force, according to an eyewitness who was watching along with New York's mayor, Rud...
more than a thumbnail Originally uploaded by mudpig Wow...I've gotta get back to NYC. Cooler air, more energy to walk walk walk. Methi...
I often wonder how we really did live our lives before the net, and like a couple of jokers, I wish Al Gore had invented it sooner! One of ...
All about me, and some recent movies. Usually I don't have a great deal of interest in the Oscars, and find that many of the movies do...
Wrapping up April even tho there are some days left. I will be busily engaged this last week so this is coming a bit early. WATCHED: Change...
A week or so ago, we went to a fundraiser for Washington Jesuit Academy in DC at the Dock 5 of Union Market . It involved lots of food samp...
I saw the article on Matt in the weekend paper and I wonder why this wasn't suggested as a career choice back when "I" was in...
Not me nor my child but a friend and her mother. If you're a parent, I hope you've had this feeling.
At last it came. Easter, April Fools, the signs of Spring. While the week was not as warm as many Marylanders hoped it will be, it was perfe...