Thursday, November 12, 2015

TBT: A Mother's Love

During my years in England, I would often see a pattern or yarn and send it to my mother in the United States to make me something. I may have bombarded her with suggestions but she was getting very good quality yarn free and it was also very inexpensive for me to both buy and mail. The dollar was strong in those days and bought quite a bit in the late 60s and into the 70s.

Years later my mother told me this was one of her favorite patterns and she made it for herself in a multitude of colors. She found the mohair sweater idea for chilly nights when she and my father took a Florida vacation every winter. I never saw those sweaters before she died in 1981 but even if I had, I was not terribly interested in her knitting then. More my loss.


Today, I only have one sweater from her mohair collection,  one in almost the same blue as the pattern image. It has become my sweater to wear when I'm feeling sick and it went to the hospital with my last year when I had my knee replaced. It's a physical reminder of my mother's love.



No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts