I collect maps and especially like looking at old ones which show the differences in local places. In clearing out old paperwork, I came across this one.
J. Millard Tawes was the Governor and Maryland was commemorating the Centennial of the Civil War. When this map was published, there were those who remembered that war and it was less than 20 years since WWII had ended. Vietnam was a word many of us didn't even know and unless you were Jewish, Israel and the Middle East were unknown areas except for Bible history.
The Governor's message on the back of the map recorded that 'our state is in the midst of an accelerated program of primary road construction...'. How our landscape would be changed could not have been fathomed by those words. From sleepy two lane highways, the Interstates and Beltways would put cars at the center of our lives. The leisurely Sunday drive would soon be a thing of the past. We had no idea what was to come.
- ► 2018 (68)
- ► 2017 (147)
- ► 2016 (206)
- It's That Day! Beware!!!
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 42
- Yes, You Can Have THAT Dress
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Days in Bernalillo
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 41
- Friday Funny October 16, 2015
- TBT: 1962 Before the Interstates or Beltways
- Wordless Wednesday: Freddy Krueger of Uzbekistan
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Chimayo But No Green Chile...
- AMM Monday: Project Life Weeks 39 & 40
- 5 on Friday: October 9, 2015
- TBT: My Daughter & Her 2nd Daughter
- Wordless Wednesday: The Photo I Wasn't Allowed To ...
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Taos Farewell
- AAM Monday: Project Life Week 38
- 5 on Friday: October 2, 2015
- TBT: VW in the Snow 1967
- ▼ October (17)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- ► 2012 (248)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- ► 2008 (340)
I have my books noted on line but I realized I tend to forget what it is I watched on tv. Most days, I am on my computer a lot but do take t...
I was taking a bit of a blog break recently with lots of visiting with family and friends. So a couple of weeks of Project Life here. Hope y...
fron On Sutton Place
SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 "They landed with such force, according to an eyewitness who was watching along with New York's mayor, Rud...
Don't ask me where the time has gone. I feel like I've been in a bit of a fog lately no doubt by the World Cup but then also by the ...
A week that involved a lot of visiting to and fro. It became a busy week with not so much else going on but isn't that a typical sum...
as seen on this Instagram account
Week sixteen started out as a chilly rainy Sunday but one that was fun. The rest of my week involved time at the Washington Retreat Cen...
So even though the policy is rescinded, I still ask WWJD with so many of 45's policies. Seriously? Pence? This is the spirit of ...
This is not quite a tutorial today, but rather a where-to-find. I believe I had this screensaver on a former computer. However, having h...