Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Travel With Me Tuesday: The SW Trip Goes North



After a delicious sleep in Santa Fe, I woke up to a technicolor sky.  I even added to the color as my car is the one on the far right. A wild orange Mustang.


I had a restaurant to hit that served a breakfast buffet, NM style but once again I was turned the wrong way on Cerillos Road. However, I did see a good sign in one parking lot where I did my turn around even if they weren't roasting this early in the day.


I nearly missed the restaurant as there were no cars in the parking lot in the tiny strip mall.  However I was welcomed in, as possibly the first customer of the day.  I passed on the buffet and ordered huevos rancheros with decaf coffee. Coffee that was hot, sweet and milky, a perfect balance to the food. I got my green chile fix too.



I had forgotten to ask for a half portion of beans and potatoes this time but still managed to eat most of it all up! As I ate, more customers came in and the place livened up. Some had the buffet and some had 'steak and eggs'. A couple were definitely on their way to work but me? I just needed a good meal in me before hitting the road north.  If you ever want to try this breakfast spot, look for the Kelly Liquors sign as the Aldana's Restaurant is harder to spot.



After that savory breakfast, I felt the need to try a panderia that had good press. It was just up the road from Aldana's and had people coming and going while I pondered the cases. I opted for an elephant ear pastry which I ate all up so there's no photo, just crumbs.



The sky was overcast most of the day as I drove and drove north on I-25. Not a lot of traffic and all the drivers but me sticking to the 75mph speed limit. I really had to work to go 'that slow' on this seemingly endless drive, much of it straight road.



But oh those clouds!  The sun finally came out as I got closer to lunch time and needed to get out of the car for a bathroom break and some leg stretching. It would be Las Vegas, NM.



Little did I know that I would be seeing pottery like this in Palomas, Mexico.


There was a big plaza/town square with people sitting or sleeping. Residents? homeless? it was hard to say. The big building in the photo above is the Plaza Hotel. I only went in to get a postcard but it looked like an interesting spot to sleep in a bit of history.


After my hearty breakfast, I stuck to a lighter meal of chicken tacos and iced tea. I had a nice chat with the owner about how the weather had changed since his father had come up from Mexico years ago. El Encanto in Las Vegas. I think you'd like it too.


There's my car waiting for me. Orange is easy to spot!


The house above looked a lot like a spooky house other than the weird pinkish color on the trim. The house below must have been something in better days but there was a sign wanting Water for Cattle not Fracking so the residents still have a lot of sense despite the shabby appearance of the house.


Then it was back on the road north. The clouds were still with me as I guess the sun stayed in Las Vegas. Raton 102 miles ahead and I was going past Raton. Sigh...I had to remind myself that this was the Southwest where this kind of distance is normal.




I finally made it to Colorado, again keeping to the speed limit. Orange cars are pretty much open season for the police. I know. I used to have a red Porsche. The wind was brisk and kept the flags stiff in the air and got dust in my eyes.


I enjoyed looking at this app on my phone to tell me the altitude.  A lot of my time was spent at over 5k feet. Quite a change from sea level Annapolis.




Finally in Pueblo, I had a good view south and just beyond those brick buildings on the left is the Arkansas River.  But the better view was this one inside my room.  No more roads that day felt very very good.








1 comment:

Photocat said...

The perfect drive! I know now that huevo is egg. What is that altitude app? Las Vegas nM is in my list... Off to Taos next week! Yippee

Blog Archive

Popular Posts