Thursday, July 16, 2015
TBT: Another Wedding, 1934
My in-laws, Dorothy and Vince, had another poignant story with their wedding. My father-in-law was a Catholic from a NY Irish American family. He had come 'south' to Maryland to live with his older brother who had married and also married into a family business. Vince went into the same business, awnings and storm windows, and lived in SE Washington DC. Just how he met Georgetown Dorothy is a whole other story but let's just say you should never ask a girlfriend to take care of your 'beau' while you go away! Dorothy came from a VA family that moved to DC after the family's fortunes turned post Civil War. She was raised a Southern Baptist and that difference in religion was a very big deal back then.
The Catholic priest agreed to marry them but not IN the church. They had to be married in the church rectory and it was as close to a civil ceremony as the Catholic Church could make it. Of course, for Vince to have considered being married in the Baptist Church was unthinkable. His mother Martha would have rolled over in her grave - had she been dead - but instead came down from Brooklyn to attend the wedding. Other than their two witnesses, the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom were the only other attendants. I loved my mother-in-law and to the very end she never 'converted' but she would get an exasperated look when ever she talked of the rectory wedding. There are many ways to make someone feel 2nd class, and that rectory wedding tried to make it's mark on her. Fortunately, it failed!
- ► 2017 (147)
- ► 2016 (206)
- 5 on Friday: July 31, 2015
- TBT: 1950s Two Girls in the Summer
- Wordless Wednesday: July 29 2015
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Budapest, We Leave the Boa...
- AAM Monday Project Life Weeks 27 and 28
- 5 on Friday: July 24, 2015
- TBT 1964 Biloxi Mississippi
- Wordless Wednesday: June 22, 2015 - To Be America...
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Hello Budapest!
- AAM Monday Westward Bound
- 5 on Friday: July 17, 2015
- TBT: Another Wedding, 1934
- Wordless Wednesday: June 15 2015 the real purpose ...
- Tuesday Mac Tip: Up and Down
- AAM Monday: Project Life Weeks 25 & 26
- Five on Friday: July 10, 2015
- TBT: A Long Ago Wedding
- Wordless Wednesday: Ladies aka Women
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Auf Wiedershen Vienna
- AAM Monday: Project Life Weeks 23 and 24
- ▼ July (20)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- ► 2012 (248)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- ► 2008 (338)
What can I say? I just couldn't find one that was easily added. But I'll try, I'll try and maybe there will be one next week o...
SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 "They landed with such force, according to an eyewitness who was watching along with New York's mayor, Rud...
This was actually a dinner made on Thursday but as I will be at The Symphony this evening, I wrote this one ahead for you. You may consider...
Saw this over on Bits and Pieces and it got my day started with a smile. How The Day Sounds from Miky Wolf on Vimeo . Hope you like ho...
Miata? Historic tags?
My lad was out in Western MD for a few days, visiting friends and riding his bike. When he does this, he invariably comes home early and I g...
Kaija in Finlad has her own beautiful blog where she shares some of her amazing hand bound books. I cannot fathom doing such detailed and l...
The whole point of our trip to Charlottesville VA was to to to the Green Valley book fair up near Harrisonburg. We buy books for a boys...
but maybe I still should
original by tsevis