When we first bought a timeshare in SC, we started the tradition of stopping for lunch in Midlothian just outside of Richmond VA. It was then that we were introduced to the grocery chain of Ukrops. omg. It was a lovely chain, run by the Ukrop family, and the food let you know that you were now in the South. We usually ate right in the little cafe attached to the prepared food. Mac and cheese with creamy filling and the proper crusty top for me. I'm not sure what he usually had but I suspect it was fried chicken.
However, the piece de resistance, was the pecan pie we always bought to take on down for our week's beach time and then another one to take back home on the way north.
Sadly, Ukrops went out of business with the family members growing tired of the grocery life. The new owner made the bakery goodies but the last time we stopped in for our luxury pie, it was just not as good. Maybe it really was but it didn't seem the same without a Mr. Ukrop there near the checkout seeing if things were running smoothly and saying goodbye to you.
Life is all about change but darn, I miss that pie!
- ► 2016 (206)
- Five on Friday: January 30, 2015
- TBT: A Birthday to Remember
- Wordless Wednesday: January 28, 2015
- Travel With Me Tuesday: A Much Better Day or Two ...
- AAM Monday: Feeling The Grief
- Where's Wald...no...Where's Maureen?
- AAM Monday: An Advantage to Age
- Five on Friday: January 16, 2015
- TBT : 2006 Canning Camp Food
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Up to Switzerland - Fail
- AAM Monday: January 12, 2015
- Five on Friday: January 9, 2015
- Throwback Thursday: How Sweet It Was
- Wordless Wednesday January 7, 2015: Brick Lane, L...
- Travel With Me Tuesday: We Drive to the Med
- AAM Monday: Getting Back in the Groove
- Five on Friday: January 2, 2015
- Hello 2015!
- ▼ January (18)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- ► 2012 (248)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- ► 2008 (338)
eat more veggies
This was actually a dinner made on Thursday but as I will be at The Symphony this evening, I wrote this one ahead for you. You may consider...
Cleaned up the worktable pre trip. I love seeing the wood again! One bit remaining from punching a bunch of items to send on to little ...
Wrapping up April even tho there are some days left. I will be busily engaged this last week so this is coming a bit early. WATCHED: Change...
Recently, I found this photo of me and my cousin Joe. I'd say we are about 4-5 years old here. We are - obviously- in my bedroom with al...
A lot of bits and pieces this week. Hopefully, the last snow and ice. It didn't last long but it did make walking round the house ra...
Ok, no chicken dinner but better than that, a chance to win a super kit collection from Sabrina's Creations at The Lilypad. Looks lik...
The whole point of our trip to Charlottesville VA was to to to the Green Valley book fair up near Harrisonburg. We buy books for a boys...
Despite the Dec 1967 tag on the photo, I know this one was taken earlier. We have summer warmish weather clothes on so I'm guessing it...
Kaija in Finlad has her own beautiful blog where she shares some of her amazing hand bound books. I cannot fathom doing such detailed and l...