When we first bought a timeshare in SC, we started the tradition of stopping for lunch in Midlothian just outside of Richmond VA. It was then that we were introduced to the grocery chain of Ukrops. omg. It was a lovely chain, run by the Ukrop family, and the food let you know that you were now in the South. We usually ate right in the little cafe attached to the prepared food. Mac and cheese with creamy filling and the proper crusty top for me. I'm not sure what he usually had but I suspect it was fried chicken.
However, the piece de resistance, was the pecan pie we always bought to take on down for our week's beach time and then another one to take back home on the way north.
Sadly, Ukrops went out of business with the family members growing tired of the grocery life. The new owner made the bakery goodies but the last time we stopped in for our luxury pie, it was just not as good. Maybe it really was but it didn't seem the same without a Mr. Ukrop there near the checkout seeing if things were running smoothly and saying goodbye to you.
Life is all about change but darn, I miss that pie!
- ► 2018 (68)
- ► 2017 (147)
- ► 2016 (206)
- Five on Friday: January 30, 2015
- TBT: A Birthday to Remember
- Wordless Wednesday: January 28, 2015
- Travel With Me Tuesday: A Much Better Day or Two ...
- AAM Monday: Feeling The Grief
- Where's Wald...no...Where's Maureen?
- AAM Monday: An Advantage to Age
- Five on Friday: January 16, 2015
- TBT : 2006 Canning Camp Food
- Travel With Me Tuesday: Up to Switzerland - Fail
- AAM Monday: January 12, 2015
- Five on Friday: January 9, 2015
- Throwback Thursday: How Sweet It Was
- Wordless Wednesday January 7, 2015: Brick Lane, L...
- Travel With Me Tuesday: We Drive to the Med
- AAM Monday: Getting Back in the Groove
- Five on Friday: January 2, 2015
- Hello 2015!
- ▼ January (18)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- ► 2012 (248)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- ► 2008 (340)
I have my books noted on line but I realized I tend to forget what it is I watched on tv. Most days, I am on my computer a lot but do take t...
I was taking a bit of a blog break recently with lots of visiting with family and friends. So a couple of weeks of Project Life here. Hope y...
A simple week, with rain, reading and a memorial service for a friend. The little black bordered photo on the first page came from the BBC ...
fron On Sutton Place
SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 "They landed with such force, according to an eyewitness who was watching along with New York's mayor, Rud...
It's funny that when ever we get together down North Carolina way, we often end up having dinner at the same restaurant. Is it tradition...
A week that involved a lot of visiting to and fro. It became a busy week with not so much else going on but isn't that a typical sum...
as seen on this Instagram account
Week sixteen started out as a chilly rainy Sunday but one that was fun. The rest of my week involved time at the Washington Retreat Cen...
So even though the policy is rescinded, I still ask WWJD with so many of 45's policies. Seriously? Pence? This is the spirit of ...