Monday, September 1, 2014

AAM Monday: Shrub but Not Bush

I have a new drink, especially now that it is peach time. A shrub. (no, no not the one who was in the White House). A shrub is a vinegar based drink that is cut with soda water. Very very refreshing.This is a basic article on liquid shrubs which varies a bit from how I made mine.

I made my own white wine vinegar and then macerated a bunch of cut up peach bits in it for....about 3 days, 5 days...I'm not sure. Then I pureed the whole shebang in the blender and combined it with  the proportions being 1/4 peach puree to 3/4 plain or lemon lime soda water. That means my shrub is not crystal clear but cloudy with the peach puree, skins and all. I do hate to waste.

click image to see another recipe

In reality, each day I just poured the peach concoction into a glass  til I thought there was enough, a scientific term you know, and then topped it with ice and soda water. Tart and good. I didn't add any sugar but that's up to you. Were these peaches super sweet? Nah,these peaches were just grocery store ones. Not so great to eat but damn good to drink. I also suspect a bit of basil or rosemary in the maceratingg might add a nice je ne sais quoi. Try it.


16 comments:

girlunwinding said...

Wow! I have never heard of a "shrub", making a drink with vinegar. It's got a really pretty color.
Peace~
Dawn

Robyn said...

I just learned what a shrub was last week at a Wine and Food fest- and I thought they said you had to put sugar in it. I like yours better!

TwinkleToes2day said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TwinkleToes2day said...

Well I've learnt something new today, thank you! A shrub can be a drink. Amazing! The colour you got is a beautiful peach colour. I have a sweet tooth, so I would probably have put sugar in it, haha.
Happy T day :D

Linda Kunsman said...

A shrub as a drink-hmmm...this sounds appealing to me -I wouldn't use sugar either-but then I also take skins off everything as I am a bit concerned about waxes, pesticides, etc.Happy T day!

Krisha said...

I looked at the recipe and how to make a shrub base. Sound very interesting and something I might try next summer. Thanks for sharing.
Happy T-day

froebelsternchen Susi said...

Thank you for introducing me to a new special drink.. sounds interesting!
Happy T-Day!

Photocat said...

I might actually give that a try. Never thought of vinegar as base for a drink. We learn every day. It looks etheric.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So delighted you joined T this week. I first learned about shrubs a couple of years ago from another tea drinker. Until then, I had no idea what they were. Your shrub looks delicious and I'm quite sure it's refreshing.

Thanks so much for joining us for T this Tuesday. However, I'm a bit confused by your question of how to sign in using blogspot. I fear that's something I'm not familiar with. If anyone else knows, I hope they'll tell you, since it's obviously a service I don't use.

see you there! said...

I've heard of a Shrub but never tried one. Interesting recipe and I agree the peaches from the supermarket don't make good eating.

Darla

Divers and Sundry said...

Somebody else posted about shrubs on T Tuesday a while back, and I still haven't worked up enough nerve to make a drink based on white vinegar. lol Yours looks pretty, tho :)

Rita said...

Never heard of this drink, but it sounds refreshing.
Happy T-Day! :)

Dianne said...

hmm...sounds yummy! and looks lovely too. not sure I am ambitious enough to make one though, but I do love peaches!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

I have never heard of a shrub...this sounds really refreshing! I love peaches, sweet or not.

Hettie said...

Hmmmn! I do like it when I learn something new on Blogger! I am going to have to try this one. Thanks for calling over and happy belated T Day!
Hugs
xx

Snap said...

Wow. I learned something new today. I love peaches and this sounds delicious and cooling for the hot summer.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts