Monday, March 17, 2014

AAM Monday: Back in 1979, Not Quite Everyday

The layout has the short version of the story.  Here is the longer one.

My children and I had been evacuated from Iran the first week of December 1978. My then husband remained while I, our three children and two cats went to live with my mother and her ancient chihuahua in Maryland. In early February, we heard that my husband and some other men might be returning from Tehran after Valentine's Day.  My mother, who loved our house at the Delaware beach, said she would take the three children there for the long President's Day holiday. I stayed home in MD just in case.


When the blizzard hit, my mother eventually took the 3 children for a walk to the beach. The ocean was frozen, a sight my mother had never seen. Unfortunately, the camera was still back at the house and she knew there was no way they could repeat this trip for a photo. No cell phones much less portable phones with wonderful cameras.

When we have big storms as we did this winter, I sometimes think of that weekend. Them at the beach, me housebound with aluminum awnings over the front and side doors. Climbing up on a ladder in the snow to try and shovel off some of the snow from the front awning after the side one collapsed from the weight of the snow.  Reading, wondering if and when my husband would ever get out of Iran, and why he did not choose to return with the group that did come that weekend.

It was not quite like everday at all.

2 comments:

Photocat said...

wow, you sound like an Argo figure. That must have been scary for you and your family to be there in all that reccus. aglad you made it out
allright...

Photocat said...

wow, you sound like an Argo figure. That must have been scary for you and your family to be there in all that reccus. aglad you made it out
allright...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts