Friday, November 15, 2013

Five on Friday: November 15, 2013

1. A busy week, though not a lot of things to do. Know what I mean? I tried to mentally slow down, and having coffee with a friend or two helped. These early dark nights make me ready to go to sleep a lot earlier than normal.

2. Have you ever had boiled peanuts? I love them and found that Walmart has them in tins, AND spiced. Still in their shells, they're a messy snack but one I enjoy.



3. This was a week to make soup. Three kinds. Pork posole, lasagna soup, and cheeseburger soup. The posole was for a boys night in dinner yesterday. I made it easier on myself, and bought the cornbread and one of the guests brought dessert. It's easy to please these men I've found. While I do think I give them good food, quantity is often the most important quality.

4. I am reading A Bittersweet Season, Caring for Our Aging Parents - and Ourselves. Neither my husband nor I have parents who are alive so the first part is a moot point. We do have each other though. I think this book could have done with a good bit of editing as well as more paragraph breaks. However, the volume of information that a person needs to navigate assisted living, nursing homes, hospitals and the completion of a probable Medicaid application is daunting. I wish the book had the checklists written out somewhere because they are hard to find when in a general narrative. I am, however, glad to have this read now when it's not an urgent matter and it's got me intent on gathering up more of our documentation now, rather than later.



5. The last two weekends we went out to dinner with friends. That was a lot of fun and I think I'd like to do it at least once a month. That takes planning but is so worth it.

2 comments:

Photocat said...

I am just now layouting a book called Simply ageing, to be released as e-book. I will let you know when the author puts it online. It is just that, what things to think about while a younger ageing person, while still good, to avoid all sorts of pitfalls... How odd that we both are reading in that field. O, my bedtime book is A Tiger's child from Torey Hayden. I love her. Have read all her books and am rereading them now...

Photocat said...

I am just now layouting a book called Simply ageing, to be released as e-book. I will let you know when the author puts it online. It is just that, what things to think about while a younger ageing person, while still good, to avoid all sorts of pitfalls... How odd that we both are reading in that field. O, my bedtime book is A Tiger's child from Torey Hayden. I love her. Have read all her books and am rereading them now...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts