Tuesday, September 10, 2013

"Deja Vu All Over Again?"

Last night I watched the first episode of "Last Tango in Halifax". That's Halifax Yorkshire not Halifax Nova Scotia. I almost turned it off with the snittiness of the female lead, Celia, in the opening cafe scene. Oh well, I thought, this must lead to better things if we're seeing her as a whiny old woman now. 


 But as the story progressed I felt as though we were on familiar turf.  Very familiar as it turns out.  Anyone else remember "As Time Goes By" still being shown on our daytime tv?

  

In both series, we have two senior citizens, definitely not your typical OAPs in England, both no longer married and who were once in love with each other.  But... an undelivered letter kept the romance from going further. Both couples married other people, and now, half a century later, they meet up.  With the internet and its many ways of finding people you once knew, Last Tango in Halifax doesn't need the 'secretarial agency' ploy used in As Time Goes By.  Nonetheless, we were on familiar grounds.
 
Of course the original ATGB was over 20 years ago, but there are some of us who have watched tv for that long. I'm one of them. In fact I can even recall when there was no television. Imagine that!

I will continue to watch the show and get my fix of life in Yorkshire but wonder if it will continue to be a comparison match for me. That's summat to think on, right lass?

In case you are wondering, here is the reference to the title of this post.
 



No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts