Friday, August 2, 2013

Five on Friday: August 2, 2013

August? Seriously? Already? Well, not being a fan of summer with its accompanying humidity round here, I kind of relish August. I say kind of because our heat can go on into October. Oh well, our air-conditioning works so why should I gripe...

This week a few saying came back to me. There are some sayings that are particular to a family and others that are particular to a period of time. Others come out of my husband's mouth and I look at him and think " Where in the heck did he get that phrase???" and often I really don't know what he means. Other phrases, I brought into our marriage and he has adopted them.

1.  Up in Sadie's room, behind the clock - This one comes from my late mother in law and was always used to answer a (stupid) question asked by a child or spouse about where something was. "Ma, where's the loaf of bread???" Mother sighs, and says "Up in Sadie's room behind the clock!" rather than saying "in front of your eyes, you stupid child...."  In recent years, I learned that this phrase had its origin in Prohibition days. Hearing that line, a 'customer' would know the booze was available.

2. "Waiting for the 84 bus..." This one comes from my first marriage, and the 84 bus ran (maybe still does) between York and Harrogate in Yorkshire. I often took this bus and could see it coming from my bedroom window when it was about 5 miles away.  Since I then had to 'wait for the 84 bus' to arrive at my corner, any waiting became ..."Waiting for the 84 bus". Standing around waiting for a spouse, child etc was a good time to use this phrase if asked what you were doing.

my house near that green football pitch

3.  "Just like downtown" was a late 60s version of excellent, awesome, wicked, whatever the teenage phrase for some positive superlative. We lived outside Washington DC and anything REALLY good became 'just like downtown' where all things seemed bigger, better and more desirable.

4. "Taking sand"  I truly never heard of this one til my current husband spit it out. Huh??? I figured out that it had to be something negative but the closest I can get it to is 'getting grief" on something. Nothing found googling this one and I've learned not to ask for him to explain yet again.

5. "Kin khao" This is what our Thai maid used to say in calling us to eat, no matter which meal it was.  Somehow it always sound like 'Tahn Khao" which is what the phrase became in our household, even after we left Thailand and lived in countries with other languages. Maybe because it goes up at the end of the phrase? Maybe because some things suit certain languages better than others. btw, it literally means 'eat rice' so when you want to call you children to dinner, no matter what they're eating,  say "Kin Khao!" Sadly this one is no longer in my day to day usage and probably not in my children's. A casualty of divorce I suspect.

1 comment:

Photocat said...

too funny. My grandmother used to say about good food: it's like an angel peeing on my tongue. When we hurt as little kids my mom used to say: it's far from your behind, don't sit on it...
What's for dinner? Curious noses and asking tails

Odd how those things go from one generation to the next...

Blog Archive

Popular Posts