Snow is rare in Washington DC for Christmas but there are other things that are special to this city during the holiday season. The lighting of the National Christmas Tree on the small grassed area south of the White House. There is also a Congressional Tree between the Capitol and the Mall. I went into DC to watch the lighting once when I was a Congressional staffer. One of the memories that goes back to my childhood, however, is the poinsettia display at the "Botanical Gardens"which is also down Capitol Hill at the start of the Mall. My mother loved to see this amazing display and I was always fascinated by the steamy atmosphere where the tropical plants lived! While we always called it the "Botanical Gardens", the proper name is the United States Botanic Gardens.
Last year my husband and I had a DC day where we visited the display which now includes a train for the children as well as miniatures of the important buildings on Capitol Hill. The stars of the show are still the poinsettias though. Red, pink, striped in all sizes and varieties. The display is free too! If you happen to find yourself in Washington DC some December, put this event on your list for a quiet, peaceful break in the holiday season.
- ► 2016 (206)
- ► 2015 (209)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- Tuesday Tutorial: You Can Hide!
- AAM: Project Life Weeks 29 & 30
- Sunday Serenade: Yes, Dorothy, This is Kansas
- Flashback Friday: Malta
- Wordless Wednesday: I ate this!
- Tuesday Tutorial: About That Clock
- AAM Project Life Week 28
- Sunday Serenade: Our Recent Welcome Weather
- Chirstmas in July - Memories i.e.
- Flashback Friday: Oh Those Summers
- Wordless Wednesday: The Path Taken
- Tuesday Tutorial: Yes, You Can Kern!
- AAM Monday Project Life Wk 26
- Flashback Friday: Oh What a Week
- Wordless Wednesday: At Least 2 Months of This
- Teusday Tutorial: Another PSE Quick Click Shortcut...
- AAM The Weeks That Were
- Oh Those Greeks!
- Happy Birthday Josie!
- Flashback Friday: Yankee Papa 13
- Wordless Wednesday: Celebrate
- Tuesday Tutorial: Get Back, Get Back
- AAM Monday: Who Doesn't Want an Assist?
- Sunday Serenade: A Stageful of Talent
- ▼ July (24)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- ► 2008 (338)
Ten years ago I went into Washington DC to the Vietnam Memorial. It was a horribly hot and humid day, so much like the weather in South East...
I saw this photo of my daughter and two of her daughters on Facebook and really liked it. You never know what you'll find there. I saw a...
Click here to see more about straightening your wayward cushions from the clever one at Thistlewood Farm
Wrapping up April even tho there are some days left. I will be busily engaged this last week so this is coming a bit early. WATCHED: Change...
I often wonder how we really did live our lives before the net, and like a couple of jokers, I wish Al Gore had invented it sooner! One of ...
I got myself on a roll last week and got caught up. Well not including week 21 and this being week 22. I could have done 21 yesterday but i...
What can I say? I just couldn't find one that was easily added. But I'll try, I'll try and maybe there will be one next week o...
Another week done, the week of the USNA graduation which to those of us who live here really means the stunning Blue Angels flying over our...