Thursday, September 30, 2010

Goodbye Icons

Being hit with a touch of nostalgia looking at JAPRA's blog post today, I was reminded me of something I had loved in England. Postboxes. You could always tell the vintage of them by looking for the monarch's initials, ER (Elizabeth Regina) or GR (George Rex) for the most part. I'm not sure that I ever saw a VR or if there ever were any.


Along with the traditional double-decker bus,


and the phone box (a newfangled BLACK one!,


these things are slipping into history. My history and my sons' history. The younger one really has no recollections of England as he was three when we moved to Thailand but my older son had seven years of England entered into his memory bank.

I agree with JAPRA about snapping these icons now. I suspect they will be history in your lifetime. My local US mailbox disappeared about a year or so ago with mailbox pickup being phased out. Our mail carrier takes my Netflix returns etc but that little walk, 1 block, was a nice part of life. He doesn't complain, and my mail does get to its destination in rapid time, but I miss that mailbox. I think I'll have to go find one somewhere and take a photo lest "I" forget what a standard US mailbox looked like someday.

1 comment:

Just a Plane Ride Away said...

Aw, Maureen, you are feeling nostalgic! These are lovely photos. I love the one of the double decker with the umbrella lights above.

I can't believe they took away your mailbox! I've never heard of such a thing. And when we moved to the UK nearly four years ago, I couldn't believe the posties wouldn't take my letters (which is to say they did one time, but I clued in really fast). And now the postal workers won't take your mail? For some reason that makes me really sad. So where do you have to go to drop off your mail? Do you actually have to get in your car and drive to the post office?

Please do take a photo of a good old US mailbox. Isn't it funny the things you miss?

Blog Archive

Popular Posts