Saturday, August 21, 2010

Text Messaging, Art Journal Style

(I APOLOGIZE to those who left comments that are not showing.  My head hangs in shame as I accidentally deleted them. I did read them and SERIOUSLY appreciate them!)

Another month, and look what I found here.


Make an art journal page with just text. I have rid myself of so many of the magazines I'd hoarded in the sake of space but had some travel ones which was good. The older bits of text I have in my Words drawer were used mainly as journal inspirations a few years ago. I'd add the text to a blank page and write whatever the wording brought up. I also made a journal for a (younger) friend when she graduated from college. I hadn't added to that drawer much these days ...my digital life had taken over.

I knew right off the bat that I wanted to do a text follow up to the pre Hawaii page. So I cut happy, inspiring bits of text and got it all done last night, just sitting with dh and talking about ...electronic gadgets.

Then I laid them out and found that the texts just flowed the way I wanted them to. The larger bunches of words I left out deciding that the straight linear way was going to work. I could journal in the smaller spaces later. Once I had them laid out on a blank sheet of paper, I snapped a photo which I then kept up on my iMac screen as a template.


Then glue the bits down, leave out the big ones, and there it is ...a background I like for another Hawaii page. What I now feel about the trip will get written, someday. Probably someday soon.



Now I can go look at what the other Crusaders have made and try not to be too judgemental about my own work after seeing theirs. Mine looks very unfinished but it does tell a lot of my story already. It is what it is!

15 comments:

michelle ward said...

Maureen - thanks for coming to play with us! What a clever idea to take a photo of your layout to assist you when gluing down! Love that you shared this page is about a recent trip. I think journaling in the empty bits will make for a really interesting page - great idea!

lena said...

hello you! love this text because you have chosen different colours aswell. AND of course..." are we there yet?"...

rachel27b said...

I also used text from a travel magazine for my page. Your page is fun and interesting to look at. I laughed at the quote "Are we there yet?". It took me back to the days of long car journeys with my children!

missy k said...

I love the travel texts you have used for your page.

Great idea using text from a travel magazine, a great page!

Now I have 'itchy feet!'

ps thanks for visiting my old crusades too :)

Karenx

Jackie said...

It looks great! Love the different colours of the text and that it is actually relevant to you, Maureen.

quinncreative said...

Taking a photo is such a clever way to know where each piece went. In the beginning, I'd do a collage, the remove the pieces and never get it right again! (Now I just flop it onto a big piece of paper and then again so I can see it as I reassemble. I think the other way was more fun! I love the page, and I love reading it through to guess what was in you imagined while doing it!

iHanna said...

Telling a story with found words is difficult but fun. I think anything you cut out will say "something" about what you're drawn to and who you are, right? :-) Nice page!

Cruse on girl!
/another crusader

Kimber said...

What a great tribute to summer and travel. Must have been fun cutting these words and phrases out. I really like the colors too.

Kari said...

I love your text, especially: who knew flying could be this fun. Very fun page!

Plume said...

I like the looks of words stiked on apage. It is unusual but nice to look at the way it is. Thanks for sharing.

Janet said...

This is such a fun page!

fabricfan said...

A truly summery page.

goudenregen said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Aren't all those words fun? Reading all sorts of things in them. Great pages.

cathsheard said...

Glad I am not the only one that deletes things by mistake. Lovely work Maureen.

milkcan said...

Way cool! Love collecting all the phrases that way!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts