Friday, June 25, 2010

Flashback Friday


My Aunt Ruthie at her 1st Communion. She is the 3rd from the right in the front row.

What year? Well let's see. To the best of my knowledge, my Aunt was born in 1923, so if she was about 7, this photo is circa 1930.

One other interesting point is that the Catholic church is the Lithuanian church. Those were the days of Catholic churches for each immigrant community and god-forbid! that the churches should mix. They may have all been Roman Catholic but they were not catholic in spirit. But times have changed, these immigrants blended in, raised Lithuanian American children and American grandchildren. My Aunt was in the 2nd stage, the group like my mother who grew up speaking English and never learned Lithuanian. Interestingly, I was the 3rd generation, but because I was raised by my grandparents during WWII, I first spoke Lithuanian, and only learned English when I was 3 years old.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts