Friday, June 11, 2010

6 days in June


6 days alone.

Well, not quite alone since I have Sebastian (the Siamese) who needs thyroid medication twice a day, feeding in periodic intervals during the day, and litter box emptying. But alone without my dh. He has taken a trip to Madison WI, a place I thoroughly enjoy but having gone on a short trip with him recently, I needed my alone time.


I have learned that while a natural extrovert, I am also seriously in need of time on my own in regular intervals. I'm an only child and I often forget how that time alone has really shaped me. More and more I also believe that a good bit of my need for interaction with other people is filled by the various social media and other net communities that are part of my life. Now that I am retired, I relish the time home in my own house. I need time alone in my own house, and bless his generous heart, my dh gets this now. We had those conversations in our early marriage that included the phrase "This isn't about you, it's about me!" It isn't that I want him gone, it's that I want to be alone. I need to be alone.



What do I do? Well, I've learned not to spend serious time cleaning because he never notices. Any cleaning that is done has to be a clean out project that I have either been avoiding or putting off because it would interfere with our daily life. If it's just me, I can cope a lot more easily with messes that don't get finished. (btw, this does not imply that my dh minds any mess. Far from it... but he wants his meals, and he wants them when the clock strikes.)


I also rarely cook, until just before he gets back so there is something ready and waiting. I often eat a lot of popcorn because I also watch a lot of movies. This week I saw "It's Complicated" , "Avatar", "Crazy Heart", 4 episodes of "House" season 1, and 6 episodes of "Mad Men" season 3. I also finished two Shutterfly books and got them printed! Whee!!! I gathered a big bag of clothes and some other housewares for the local charity shop, and also did some needed housekeeping on the computers. Pretty much I stayed home unless I had to go out. All in all, I had a great time!

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts