Monday, March 15, 2010

AAM Monday

Intention isn't everything. Or so I've come to believe. Kind of.

Last December, I had come to the realization that I was a couple months into my 65th year, and feeling tired and much less than fit. The clothes were getting tighter, the muffin top had obviously had some yeast added to it, and I did not want to continue on this path. I really didn't want to change my lazy, carefree ways but carefree was not so free anymore.

So I made a mental decision, and went off to London where I did get back to some walking. Not a lot but I held my own during that trip, and didn't expand out of my clothes at least. That in itself was good. Shortly after I got back, I heard about a new city gym from my dear friend Judy. My dh was away and I promptly went over and signed up. I had a session with a personal trainer and started going daily. I liked having the option of bikes, treadmills and ellipticals to vary the workout every 10 min. It was still too dark and cold to walk outside in the am. A week or two, and I was enjoying it. Then it snowed. Oh man did it snow. February was kind of a lost month with a lot of white all around our house. A lot.

However, with my dh away again, I did the shoveling for snow round 2. I took it in measured stages, rested flat on my back - ok, on the couch, in front of the fire, watching Netflix between shovel sessions. We had a LOT of snow, blizzard level snow this February, but I and my back survived. I ate less too.

My dh returned and I finally was able to get the car out of the driveway. Yeah! Freedom!! I went back to the gym, to the same workouts I had done and went home feeling great.

The next morning I could barely get out of bed, and had to get my dh to put my shoes on for me so I could go to the Dr. for some periodic blood work following the annual physical. My life became a heating pad and a back as tight as I'd hoped for my stomach muscles. (ok, I never hoped for that much...I know me and sixpack abs are not on my Wishlist.) In the physical, I had mentioned periodic pain in my right knee. The Dr. said it seems to be arthritis behind your knee but I'll send you for an e-xray to be sure. She also said stay off the bikes and eliptical. What???? this leaves me only the treadmill...ugh.

The back pain (locked tightness) continued and at the prodding of my dh...insistence!...I went back to the Doctors. I was given a set of back exercise, an appnt for a back x-ray, and a referral for a physical therapist. It is now March and where is the progress I had hoped for?!?!? My intention was there but somehow there was a disconnect between my head and my body. However...diligent daily repetitions of the back exercises, and walks on the beach or sessions in the resort gym have me back to relative normalcy. I found that my knee hurt more when I only walked so I added the recumbent bike and short sessions on the elliptical. I still have a tight back and hips in the am but I can dress myself and use the toilet with ease. Yes, the latter was an issue with a stiff back. Men can just shake but women wipe. Think about it or don't.

So here it is the real Ides of March, and have I made any progress since January? Well, holding my own is about it and in some ways I guess I'll have to be ok with that right now. I am eating less, and not enjoying that but I am sticking to some exercise every day unless I am sitting in a car on I-95 for 10 hrs.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my cholesterol #s had gone up according to that blood work. No relation to what I decided to do but a good reason for sure to pay more attention to my health. I guess I'm just starting a life habit and it feels like a lot of unintended roadblocks along the way.But it is what it is. It just isn't what I wanted it to be.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts