Saturday, February 27, 2010

Prayers for Bekah

I have felt extraordinarily powerless to do much other than pray to accept what will be regarding my granddaughter Bekah. In her struggle with aplastic anemia she has gone through two surgeries today and is fighting for her life as blood seeps into her organs.

I read this on an email from Scrap Girls and felt it helped a lot. If you need reminding of a power greater than yourself, here it is.

"I read an article recently that touched me profoundly, and I've spent a lot of time pondering it. The author was an ecclesiastical leader who had also been an airline pilot. He said that his favorite part of flying was taking off in the midst of a storm and rising up through the clouds until finally, breaking through, he was above them and could once more see the sun shining as brilliantly as ever. He likened this experience to the one we can have with prayer. In the midst of dark, stormy, and troubled times in our lives, we can pray to the Source of all light and invite His light back into our lives.

This has been a powerful image for me. I've had the experience of taking off in bad weather, too, and of marveling as the plane lifted above the storm into blindingly bright light. It was not the light itself that changed, only my ability to see it my perspective. The light was there, constant.

In my life, I am prone to discouragement and depression. Circumstances are so often troubling, and I feel I am so much less than I ought to be. But since reading the article, I have been able to remind myself that, no matter what troubles I am experiencing at the moment, the Light is still there. Above and beyond myself, God's love continues to shine. It is my part to seek His light through prayer and Scripture study, and through reaching out in love to others who may be struggling.

In many ways, these are gloomy times for the world as a whole. It is easy to feel overwhelmed by so many things that are beyond our control. But I remind myself that above all of us, no matter how murky the immediate situation, God's light - His love and power and purposes - blazes with unfailing brilliance. This gives me hope. It strengthens my faith. It keeps me moving forward. His brightness can illuminate my life even when I cannot see it with my mortal eyes.
Bobbi A.
Muse: To be absorbed in one's thoughts; engage in meditation. Not intended to solve the world's problems, another person's problems, or to cover topics completely. One does not have to agree with musings to enjoy them, just as one does not have to be the same as someone else to appreciate who they are."

No comments:

Blog Archive

Popular Posts