Saturday, July 25, 2009

Clouds and Rain

There are still clouds in my life.


My friend Gloria is in the final days of her life and despite knowing that it is working out as it is meant to, it's still hard. What is almost harder is to watch all her other friends and family go through their own grieving process and the various ways they cope or don't cope. Years ago, I read Kubler-Ross on the stages of grieving and it comes back to me now. While I don't like drama, I accept that it is part of some people's nature and that they - and all of us - do the best we can with whatever tools we have at the time.

I really don't know what my role in all of this is but dh said maybe it's time for you to be Mother to a lot of people who might need one right now.

Many of us have also come to grips with the reminder that the unmanageableness of someone else's life doesn't have to cause unmanagebleness in ours. It's hard not to get sucked in but at the same time it's hard to just back off and let a person swirl in the chaos in their life. But detaching and not getting involved is about the only sane thing to do. Lots of us saw the domino effect of getting sucked in this past week. It was a major lesson.

Clouds still around, both outside and inside, but clouds often bring much needed rain or tears.

1 comment:

CameoRoze said...

That last paragraph is oh, so true. This can be especially hard when it's your grown kids. I find I'm insulating myself from some of my daughters' drama because I know that if I don't, I'm far too susceptible to my own mental health taking a nose dive. So hard to watch, though.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts