Friday, January 9, 2009

what shall I do

What shall I do with the rest of my life, I mean.

No, I'm not planning on checking out any time soon, tho One Never Knows. That is one of those dubious awareness's (apostrophe? one more s? add es?) that comes to us the longer we live. You know how you hear strange stories and think what you never thought at 30 or 40....That could happen to ME. I could just up and die from (insert weird happening) Any Day. Pass me a piece of that fudge now, just in case.

I also have to apologize for possibly putting fear into two of my children. I realized this year that I am so over putting a tree up and taking it down etc etc especially when we both want to go Somewhere Else over the holidays. DH has been a bad influence on me here since he suffered from too many More, More, More Christmases in the past and tries to avoid those recollections. I don't want to be the one putting the brakes on his desire to travel but doing Christmas does conflict with a trip in November and December AND January.

So a mental decision was made last year to get a smaller tree, which I got on sale at Jo-Ann's for $29! This 'you get what you pay for tree' called for very few ornaments and so I have at least half a big plastic bin of ornaments that were not used this year, and I don't want to feel guilty about not using them in future years. Flylady says Give them AWAY. Hey, I made a lot of those so shouldn't the people whose names are on the ornaments get them??? Shouldn't they have trees of their own by now??

And so I went to Facebook and asked my chicks Do you want your Christmas ornaments now or when I'm dead? One told me to drink lots of water and take my vitamins. This apparently is the secret to mumsy's long and healthy life in the mind of a 30sumthin. No comment was made about the ornaments. The other chick, male, said Burn them. I suspect he has not looked at a Christmas decoration for a while if he thinks you can put them on the barbie and they will turn to ash. Or will they??

I have come to the conclusion that we rarely want any of our parents' things till we reach 50 and by then the parents are fed up and have trashed the lot and gone minimalist. And so I decided to let the issue rest for a week or so or 50, and color my hair. Not that my Artist Way peeps would care about my roots, but when it's time, it's time. DH walks in after I'm done and says

DH It's darker. I like it lighter.
moi Yes it's darker, but it was getting brassy looking.
DH Ohhhh. Obviously not knowing that brassy is not a look one aspires to unless..well, you know.


This is as far as I've gone in looking into my future. But I know 2009 will be good, because I am dealing with those Christmas decorations with non-brassy hair. Some days, for a Virgo, that's almost enough.

4 comments:

Judy said...

I thought you went on vacation early. Didn't see your post for a day or two.
Revenge is sweet...put all the ornaments in a bin and let the peeps get sentimental when they have to clear out your things. My peeps will wallow in a lot as I have 17 large Xmas bins in the basement. HA! Serves them right.

CurlyPops said...

You just cracked me up!

Taccolina said...

Very funny! And most definitely true. Being the 30-something, I hear my Mom and I having your conversations.... me not having room for stuff, her wanting a nice, tidy - empty!? - basement!

Tinniegirl said...

You cracked me up too. Glad that life is looking good for 2009 and without brass.

As for the appreciation of our parents fine things it is unfortunately too true. You know they'll ask you for them in about 10 years time!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts