Thursday, December 4, 2008

In My Car I Have

Well I don't have it yet, and I'm not on the road that much. All my jobs for the prior 20+ years were barely over 1 mile from my home but I am gonna restock the items that left the car during the summer. Here is a guide to Winter Safety that might be especially good for those who have never faced a winter drive - yet. The DC area is always full of these transplants who Never Knew.


Trust me, we can get a winter here. Valentine's Day...I place my bets on that one for a Big Storm. You have been warned. It isn't fun being stuck with on 50 or 66 with a bunch of lunatics and who wants to join That Group.

Things You’ll Need:

  • Flashlights with extra batteries
  • First-aid kit with scissors
  • Windshield scraper
  • Maps and compass
  • Paper towels, tissues, and moist towelettes
  • Blankets
  • Extra warm clothing and socks
  • Gloves or mittens
  • Rain gear
  • Large plastic trash bags (for impromptu rain gear)
  • Gallon-size resealable plastic bags
  • Calorie-dense nonperishable food (e.g., energy or granola bars, nuts, pemmican)
  • Pocket knife
  • Bottled water
  • Waterproof matches
  • Newspaper/wooden shims (to burn for melting snow)
  • Metal container such as a clean can (for melting snow in)
  • Collapsible shovel
  • Jumper cables
  • Tow rope
  • Bag of sand or nonclumping kitty litter (for traction)
  • Red bandana or other brightly colored cloth (to make a distress flag)
  • Small amount of cash (e.g., $20)
  • Large permanent marker
  • Bar of white soap (to write on interior of car windows)
  • I add...if short people are part of your daily drive, I'd add munchies, diapers, good boots or at least loads of plastic bags and heavy rubber bands for their tootsies in the event you ALL have to hoof it.
Also...keep cell phone fully charged tho service will probably be &#^@% up in a big storm. Always is.

I'm just grateful that we don't have this kind of weather on a regular basis. Really grateful.

3 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Sheesh, I'm extremely thankful that we never ever get any extreme weather like that!

stacy said...

I had to laugh - when we started dating, I ended up staying at my now-husband's place over night in a snow storm. On my lunch break after class, I called him and he asked if I had trouble getting my car out in the snow.
"No," I told him, "Once I dug my tires out, it was fine."
Him: "Dug your tires out? With what?"
Me: "With my shovel, of course."
Him: "Where did you find a shovel?"
Me: "In the trunk of my car, where it always is!"

He was both surprised and impressed that I had winter gear in my car. I also have jumper cables and have used them multiple times - to help other people!

Midwest Mommy said...

Oh I dread driving in snow...that picture made me want to cry.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts