Translate

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Souper Saturday

I made this soup last week and it really came out well. (note that I cut back quite a bit on the heavy/rich elements and it was still rich to the tongue tasting)

Thanks to Joe, aka GardenGuru, over at Gardenweb who emailed many of us his huge .doc of various soups. With below freezing temperatures last night, it's soup time for sure. If I have energy, I may make some kind of soup today; otherwise, I'll just thaw a container of sauerkraut soup for my dinner. I suspect it will be the poof-ed way today (pulled out of freezer). But isn't that what freezers are for??

Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder


SOUP MEXICAN CHICKEN CORN CHOWDER via Joe aka GardenGuru

Serves: 6-8 (2 quarts)

Ingredients

1- ½ lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
½ cupchopped onion
1 to 2 clovesgarlic, minced
3T butter
2c beschicken bouillon
1cup hot water
1tsp ground cumin
2c half-and-half cream (I used 1c milk and 1c pureed cauliflower)
2c shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese (I used 4oz Monterey Jack)
1can (16 oz.)cream-style corn
1can (16 oz.)regular corn (I used 2 cups frozen corn)
1can (4 oz.)chopped green chilies, undrained (I used ~1/2c frozen roasted Big Jims peppers)
1tsp+hot pepper sauce
2mediumtomatoes, chopped (I used 1 14.5oz can fire roasted tomatoes)
Fresh cilantro or parsley, optional


Directions

Cut chicken into small, bite-sized pieces.

In a Dutch oven, brown chicken, onion and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink.

Dissolve the bouillon in hot water. Add to pan along with cumin; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

Add next 5 ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted. Stir in tomato.

Serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro or parsley if desired

1 comment:

Hoppo Bumpo said...

That looks fantastic. I have printed this off to try out. I think even Mr HB, who proclaims not to be a soup eater, would love this.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts