Saturday, September 20, 2008

This is ..my dream job


Originally uploaded by R. Plowman

Growing up I wanted to be

* a French teacher for little children
(languages were not taught till high school when I was young)
* a diplomat (I did not know that US foreign service women had to resign when they married then)
* a wife (this was kind of a given in the 50s and early 60s)
* a mother of 6 children (I was an only child)

Life happens and I flunk out of college, marry and live all over the world, and have three children who learn various less than common languages. So I sort of had all 4. We wisely stopped having children after 2 (anyone recall zero population growth?) and #3 was adopted.

So fast forward to my 40s, divorced and working in government. xh used to always say angrily "You should have been a lawyer!!" Yes, I should have. But over the next 20 years, I was able to work in the immigration law area and eventually work on state legislation and finish my degree.

So did I get my dream jobs? Yes, in a roundabout way I did. Oh, with marriage to current dh, I now have a total of 6 children (all adults...phew!). So never presume a dream is lost. You may have to work for it later in life, you may find it's a dream job that has turned into a nightmare, or perhaps just an idea you have outgrown.

Being retired, today I play with paper and scissors and glue and teach reading to adult male prisoners. Sounds dreamy to me!! Thanks to Randel Plowman for inspiring me with his A Collage of the Day. That's his crafty table not mine. (But if you want a quick and decisive answer OR a diplomatic answer, feel free to ask me!)

Click ThreeButton's list over on the right to see who else answered this week's ? which came from Cindy at bugandpop. Great one Cindy!

7 comments:

AnastasiaC said...

great ambitions!! a diplomat hey? times have changed havnt they?
i think id be happy playing with paper & glue all day long.....

Bird Bath said...

wow you have had some great dreams and experiences! sounds like you're pretty happy with your outcomes too.

Lisa [strickerin] said...

What top ambitions for a child and lovely that in a roundabout way you got your wishes.

Bec said...

What an interesting post! It's great to be able to look back and have such a good perspective on everything. If only we could have that sort of perspective while life is actually happening at the time. I'm glad you were able to realise your dreams, even if it was in a roundabout way - in fact, it's probably the best way to do it!!

Marysol said...

Well M, your dreams came to fruition, eventually.

I'm still dreaming of becoming a groupie for rocker Joe Elliot, do you think that will ever happen?
Please give me a diplomatic answer.

Maureen said...

Sol, diplomatic answer...I think you would be a perfect groupie for Joe Elliot since you are not from El Paso, tho he is far from worthy of your talents.

Decisive answer...No. Kristine might do you in.

Jenaveve said...

I like how you've been able to touch on all of them in some way or another. Interesting point you make - that we can outgrow our dreams sometimes, or the reality of them can be somewhat of a nightmare in comparison to the original fantasy - had my share of those experiences!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts