Sunday, July 6, 2008

This is...

...my favorite childhood memory. This week's theme comes from Danielle at TeacupsonTreetops. Thanks for a sweet one.

I truly don't think I have almost any toy, possession etc still around from my childhood so I have to go with a memory.



My Lithuanian grandfather used to take me mushroom hunting in the woods across the street from the house where we lived in Pennsylvania. My grandparents lived in the other half of the duplex next door. I was under three when this happened and I'm sure my Nana was glad to have me out from under her feet since my grandparents were raising me while my mother worked and my father was a soldier during WWII. (My mother worked in Philadelphia and only saw me on the weekends when she came home.)

I can remember the light thru the trees and the smell and sound of walking on decaying leaves and twigs. PopPop knew the mushrooms well and I wish that talent had been passed down to me. Alas, he died when I was 3 yrs old and that is also the first time my heart was broken. There is a certain autumnal light that can surprise me with this memory on occasion.

I still love mushrooms in any shape or form! Want to see what others treasure? Check Angela's list at Three Buttons.

8 comments:

.girl ferment. said...

Oh what a gorgeous memory.
Mushroom hunting makes me giggle, "shhh tread lightly, they might hear us".

Nikki said...

oh... that makes me want to cry. How beautiful.

flossy-p said...

This is such a beautiful post. Almost fairy tale-esque.

It's just gorgeous that a certain shade of light can flood you with all of these wonderful memories again.

Hila said...

what a beautiful memory.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

That's such a beautiful story.

Sasparilla Sue said...

It's amazing that from such a young age there are still memories floating around in our heads. What wonderful memory!

Danielle said...

What a special memory, especially the sight, smell, touch, and sound senses you can remember.

AnastasiaC said...

what lovely childhood memories...mushrooms are good!! field mushrooms even better!!
we too go mushroom picking every year...i always tell my boys and nieces that if we look hard enough we might see the fairies...but they are always hiding fast asleep heehee

Blog Archive

Popular Posts