Thursday, July 24, 2008

Not just...salmon again




I have come to have the feeling of ..oh salmon again...just because dh goes to Alaska a lot of years so we usually have half a freezer full of salmon and halibut. I can't get wild about halibut tho I believe with its large chunks it could be a good substitute for crab. However since we are in crab territory, crab tends to be cheaper.

But salmon. I have come to love these salmon cakes because they can be varied so many ways. Fishburgers sounds so very bland but it might be the word to use if you are cooking for the male of the species, or the short people.


Skinning the salmon is not as hard as you might think. A sharp knife run along the edge of the skin...and it cuts off very easily.





In these photos I made the recipe as stated originally. I then decided that I wanted all the flavorings IN the food processor before I put the salmon in to chop.



Just a panfry tho I have also done them on a heavily greased griddle.

Marilyn's Fresh Salmon Cakes

2 cloves garlic; minced
2 tablespoons minced onion
2 dashes Tabasco (or 1 teaspoon Old Bay)
1 egg yolk (or egg white)
2 tablespoons chopped parsley (see notes)
2 tablespoons real mayonnaise (I use greek yoghurt)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (less if table salt)
fresh ground pepper to taste
2/3 cup coarse white bread crumbs ( I use brown or white crumbs)
1 pound fresh salmon
1/2 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)(I often skip this step.)
2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil

In a small bowl, combine garlic, onion, Tabasco, egg, parsley, mayonnaise, salt and pepper; set aside. (I usually just pulse the garlic and onion IN a food processor, add the herbs, dry or fresh, and pulse again, and then the egg, salt and pepper.)

Remove skin and bones from salmon and cut into small cubes (about 1/2-inch). (I add the salmon to the mix in the food processor and pulse a few times to get a flavored mince.) Place mixture in a medium bowl and gently stir in bread crumbs. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before shaping into 4 patties. ( I find I can shape w/o refrigeration.)

Carefully coat the outside of each patty with Panko crumbs. Heat oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until very hot and add salmon cakes. Fry the cakes until brown, about 4 minutes on each side turning only once. Serve with lemon wedges or your favorite tarter sauce.


Variations:

Asian...add cilantro for parsley, fresh ginger to taste, and two blurps of SiRacha sauce

Today I made these with dried dill instead of parsley. I think you can add a bit of whatever seasoning you like and consider salmon the new chicken in terms of adaptability to flavors.

Let me know what you think, and how you fixed your salmon cakes.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Gonna do this tonight El Judith

Jenaveve said...

Very nice... another recipe for me to try. LOVE salmon so these will do just fine.

I have 2 Q's for you - what is that divine zucchini dish you've served on the side? (yum)

And, what do you think about grainy (wholemeal) breadcrumbs instead of the Panko for the outside? Would that work?

Maureen said...

I'll answer here first. The zucchini is just z and largely chopped tomatoes sauted with garlic/evoo. Once they brown a bit I cover the pan and let them steam down, then take the lid off to let the juices caramelize a bit more. Tres simple.

I started to add a note for you about the brown bread crumbs for the outside and they would be fine. Panko is a big deal in the US these days because it crisps so well. One other way Panko is used, and I'm sure it would work well with the grainy bread you love, is to add some (more for you) finely chopped nuts. That is the fave method used in restaurants..pistachios, almonds etc.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts