Sunday, June 8, 2008

This is...my favorite (recent) travel memory

Great theme this Sunday comes from Hila.

Well, as many of you might know from reading my blog, I've done a lot of travel in my life. But one recent trip stands out because of how much my dh and I learned about each other. He had always wanted to go to Budapest because he had a college friend who escaped Hungary after 1956. Budapest was part of a whirlwind 9 day trip via Austrian Air to Prague, Vienna and Budapest. The only thing we missed was snow.



I loved the cold, brisk weather, and we both loved the food and even more so the people. They seemed a bit closer to the 'harder, old days' than say Prague but we agreed...Budapest was on its way to being the 'new Prague.' Communism's scars ran deep. The old skin hadn't been totally shed in Dec 2006, but I bet today there is less and less of the old mentality.



And what did we learn? We learned that we could travel well together on a vacation that called for three languages, none of which I spoke, three currencies, three metro systems and a long overnight flight for a man who doesn't usually sleep on airplanes. Thank you Ambien. And when I had travel overload, and brain burnout, he was clear and certain. We found in each other a good balance in travel, which isn't always the case at home... ;-) And so? we try to travel a lot!!! Here's more to see more of this trip.

And if you want more good vacation memories check Three Buttons who maintains the looong list of players.

12 comments:

Hila said...

This post is just great and so touching. I've spent many years of my life studying the affects of communism, and your post brought back all I learnt. Prague has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Thanks for your comment on my grandfather, I've given you a very long response :)

mill said...

How pretty. I wish I could travel as much as you do, but unfortunately, at the moment uni is more important :(

Lisa said...

Wow Maureen. I would love to spend a day with you talking about all your adventures.

I think it is lovely that your trip affirmed your relationship with your husband.

.girl ferment. said...

Budapest is one of my favourtie places that I have been to too.
xx

flossy-p said...

Traveling with your partner is said to be a "make or break" situation.... But like you, I've always found it to be an experience for spending alot of time together learning even more about each other, and learning ways to get by in tricky situations... and laugh about it later :)

alexandra said...

Great travel shot - looks freezing. It's awesome to re-discover and re-aquaint yourself with your partners attributes, isn't it?

My flaw is that I hate maps when I am travelling, and just want to be somewhere, but Matt keeps me balanced and calm with a map in hand!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I would love to get to Hungary one day, especially Prague. Now you've added Budapest to the list.

That's wonderful that you and dh have discovered that you travel well together. Hubby and I still struggle with that one, but are getting much better at it.

Jenaveve said...

This post was very insightful. Not only for the cultural discovery you both made in Budapest (I would love to go there one day...) but also in reminding me how I travel with my partner, and how different the relationship can be outside of the family home. It really makes you see a different side to your loved ones.

Stacy said...

Oh Maureen, what a great adventure that must have been. Eastern Europe is #1 on places I want to visit. So much history. I can imagine the scars of communism being covered quickly in this age but roots always run deep and affect how we act and thing and grow. It makes me think of the civil rights era. Though we appear to be moving quickly past those times, the memories of those who struggled through it are still very real and apparent. I am going to look at those trip pics right now. What do you two have planned for your next adventure?

danica said...

I love the shot of the city, Maureen. It has so much atmosphere! And a beautiful accompanying story too :)

BigCat said...

What a lovely heartfelt post. It brightened my day. My partner and I travel well together. It is so nice.

Jenny said...

Sounds like a wonderful and special time with lots of things to experience and learn

Blog Archive

Popular Posts