vietnamese chicken meatballs in lettuce wraps
Originally uploaded by baostar
Well, this is certainly a recipe I'll try out soon - esp as it's an oven dish, and our days of using the oven will be over quite soon. That is an interesting technique of using sugar to coat the meatballs before baking...oven caramelizing. Who knew???
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
* 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
* 3 small shallots, finely chopped
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 stalk of fresh lemongrass, tender white inner bulb only, minced
* 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus 1/3 cup leaves for serving
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint, plus 1/3 cup leaves for serving
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1 head Boston or red leaf lettuce, leaves separated
* 1 small seedless cucumber - peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
* 1 small red onion, halved and sliced
* Asian chili sauce, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degree. Position a rack in the top third of the oven. In a food processor, pulse the chicken until coarsely ground; transfer to a bowl. Add the fish sauce, shallots, garlic, lemongrass, chopped cilantro and mint, cornstarch, salt and pepper and mix with your hands.
2. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the sugar on a plate. Using slightly moistened hands, roll the chicken mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll the meatballs in the sugar until they are evenly coated. Transfer the meatballs to the prepared baking sheet and bake them for 15 minutes, until they are lightly browned and cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, arrange the lettuce, cilantro and mint leaves, cucumber and onion on a platter. Transfer the meatballs to the platter and serve with chili sauce.
Recipe from Small Bites by Jennifer Joyce
Uploaded by baostar on 20 May 08, 1.41PM EDT.