Friday, May 23, 2008

Flashback Friday 1. 08 05 23

mm with boys 1975

Ah the younger, slimmer days...with my two sons outside my parents house, the house where I spent most of my growing up years in Maryland. In fact, the house I lived in until I 'went from my father's house to my husband's house.' By this point, August 1978, my father had been dead of ALS for 5 years. The summer shot was just before we left for Iran and a tumultuous couple of months in that troubled country. It was hard for my mother to see her grandchildren, esp that lanky boy on my right, go so far away - again. He was the love of her life, esp as she had time to 'mother' him, a joy she was denied when I was an infant during WWII when she only saw me on weekends - if she was lucky. Little did we know how soon she'd have us back.



Same house, but circa 1966...the year of my first marriage. It always appalled my mother that these new houses were built without sidewalks. Ah - the start of car dependent suburbia, and in suburbia then, there was nothing to walk to anyhow. Give me the urban or or if I have to, the country ...suburbs are still wastelands imho.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Wow Maureen, it seems like you have seen quite a bit of the world. I would love to hear more about your travels.

I love the photo of you with your sons.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts