Monday, March 3, 2008

Back to the Kitchen

It feels as if I haven't done much cooking lately and I realize that feeling is accurate. Not much was done for the month of February, which is a downside to vacations if you like to cook. When it's a couple of weeks or so, I have to get back into an autopilot and that is best done by making a simple tried and true recipe. I know what it should taste like, I know we like it and any need for improv is handled by the veggies or sides. So today it was SharonCB's "World's Best Meatloaf". Sharon, who lives in the Canary Islands, did not invent this one but found it - from American Pro Football Player's Wife in 1963. How is that for round the world?

First came the veggies to roast. It's getting to the time of year that soon I won't want the oven on all afternoon so do it now!


Then get the meat all mixed up. The orginal recipe, which I will post, is good exactly as it is but we both like a bit of heat and/or Southwest flavoring. Instead of the Sofrito which Sharon does suggest, I used a combo of Sofrito and a medium Salsa today, mostly because I already had a partial bottle of Sofrito in the fridge. I often use a salsa instead of sofrito, but plain old tomato soup will do since you have a bunch of other flavors in the mix. I didn't have a green pepper but rehydrated some dried ones. As I don't like the taste of green pepper I wasn't too concerned. (Please don't let the flavor come out strong enough to taste!!!)


The vegetables are a bit over done but were still pretty good. Nothing like that caramelization to have you go...mmmmmmmm. I had a bit more carrots chopped than I needed so into the rice along with some parsley. I almost never flavor rice as we usually have much 'hotter' i.e. spicier food, but tonight I tarted up that rice.












DH was surprised I didn't make something else for myself. LOL...I'm not that much back into the groove. It'll happen - and there's still plenty left for him to have a couple of lunches. That's like money in the bank in my opinion, knowing I won't get the ominous question of "What can I have for lunch???".

World's Best Meatloaf via SharonCB @ GardenWeb

1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs - (tear up soft sliced bread - don't use fine crumbs as for breading)
1 1/2 lb ground meat (beef or pork & beef) (about 700 grams)
1 beaten egg
1 onion chopped fine
1/4 teasp dry Colman's (or similar) mustard
1/8 teasp ground sage
1/2 teasp ground thyme
1 1/2 teasp salt
1/4 teasp pepper
1/8 teasp nutmeg
1 chopped green pepper
1 tin condensed tomato soup (eg Campbells's) Sharon suggests using Sofrito instead
3/4 cup grated celery
3/4 cup grated carrot

1) Mix meat with egg, add onion and seasonings and bread crumbs, greens and carrots
2) Add half the tin of soup and mix everything well. Turn into greased loaf pan or glass casserole dish 8.5 x 11 x 2.5 inches and pour remaining soup over the top, smoothing it evenly over all.
3) Bake 350 F (177 C) for 1 1/4 hours.

3 comments:

Robin said...

I would be so grateful if you could send a recipe to my website American Made Yes which we started because we could not find any American Made shirts for our 13 year old grandson. A recipe and a photo would be much appreciated, if you have time. http://americanmadeyes.com/ PS if this is a repeat, please ignore. I always seem to lose the message and don't know if it went it through.

Robin said...

I did try and you are right. It doesn't work. Thank you for telling me.
If you try typing in the the following words, closing the gaps, you should find my website. And your recipe will be up and running next week on the recipe page.
Is it all right if I use your thumbnails to show with the recipe?

http:// american made yes.com

Thanks again for helping.
Robin

Maureen said...

Yes, you may use the pics Robin. I hope somebody enjoys the soup!

Blog Archive

Popular Posts