Winter Greens Lasagne
Total: 1 hr 35 mins
Active: 30 mins
Makes: 10 to 12 servings
By Amy Wisniewski @ Chow.com
Wilting the greens with cream and layering them with ricotta and Parmesan makes this a satisfying lasagne that’s both easy (no sauce to prepare) and vegetarian. Even those who don’t usually get excited by cooking greens enjoy the earthy flavors they provide here. What to buy: Crème fraîche is a naturally thickened fresh cream with a tangy flavor and a rich texture, and it doesn’t curdle or separate when heated. If you can’t find it, sour cream is a decent substitute.
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 medium white onion, medium dice
* 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 2 cups heavy cream
* 1 pound red kale, washed, tough stems removed, and coarsely chopped (about 10 cups)
* 1 pound Swiss chard, washed, tough stems removed, and coarsely chopped (about 8 cups)
* 1 1/2 cups crème fraîche
* 1 (9-ounce) box no-boil lasagna noodles
* 1 pound fresh ricotta
* 2 cups finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 5 ounces)
1. Heat the oven to 400ºF and arrange a rack in the middle. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When oil shimmers, add onion, garlic, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
2. Add cream and a few handfuls of greens, and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly wilted. Continue adding greens, a little at a time, until all are slightly wilted. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, completely wilted, and coated in cream, about 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and freshly ground black pepper and remove from heat.
3. Spread 1 cup of the crème fraîche evenly over the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Cover with a layer of 4 noodles, allowing them to overlap slightly. Using a slotted spoon, scoop 1/3 of the greens mixture from cream and evenly spread over the noodles, then cover with 1/3 of the ricotta and 1/4 of the Parmesan. Repeat to make two more layers, and end with a final layer of noodles on top. Evenly pour 1/4 cup of cream over noodles. Mix together remaining crème fraîche and Parmesan, and spread evenly over the top.
4. Cover with foil and bake until bubbling and starting to brown, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is browned completely and sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes more. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
- ► 2017 (142)
- ► 2016 (206)
- ► 2015 (209)
- ► 2014 (217)
- ► 2013 (251)
- ► 2012 (248)
- ► 2011 (235)
- ► 2010 (268)
- ► 2009 (248)
- Spring Inside
- This is...
- Stick to the plain ol' ...
- Many thanks to our teacher Virginia Olson
- Memories of Day 2 Baking Class
- Memories of Day 1 Baking Class
- Baking Class...Baby Steps
- Portuguese Soupas
- Getting Back to Soup
- CHICKEN Nancy's Asian Marinade
- Pumpkin Soups - Compare and Choose
- Habanero Bites
- Williams-Sonoma Pork with Pears
- Crockpot Sweet and Saucy Beef Roast
- The mischievous tag
- Winter Lasagne
- AASPN TUT Using Gradient with Clipping Mask
- AnnT's Greek Souvlaki
- CZ Rounded Corner Tutorial
- World's Best Meatloaf
- Asian Marinated Grilled Chicken Breasts
- If You Lived Your Life Abroad
- ▼ January (22)
more than a thumbnail Originally uploaded by mudpig Wow...I've gotta get back to NYC. Cooler air, more energy to walk walk walk. Methi...
Another dose of my 30 Days of Thankful 'pages'.
I was looking at a tutorial to make images appeared curled, and while the narrator said you could do it in PSE, I found that there was a CS ...
original by tsevis
What can I say? I just couldn't find one that was easily added. But I'll try, I'll try and maybe there will be one next week o...
I saw the article on Matt in the weekend paper and I wonder why this wasn't suggested as a career choice back when "I" was in...
I often wonder how we really did live our lives before the net, and like a couple of jokers, I wish Al Gore had invented it sooner! One of ...
Wrapping up April even tho there are some days left. I will be busily engaged this last week so this is coming a bit early. WATCHED: Change...
Back home after a week dog sitting, it''s so nice to be home. Steely Dan and some nice visuals to go along side.
About Bekah... from Sharlah's friend The doctors told Sharlah today that Bekah's virus has progressed to pneumonia. She had a ver...