Translate

Monday, January 28, 2008

Stick to the plain ol' ...

I decided to surprise my eldest and make him some oatmeal cookies. Now oatmeal is his favorite as an adult but certainly not a cookie I'd think of making nor has my dh ever asked for them or showed interest in them. Somehow tho, I thought I'd make them - uhm more interesting?

I consulted with my virtual friends and came away with a recipe that sounded delicious, at least to non-oatmeal-cookie-eater-me. Don't they look good???

Oatmeal Scotchies baked

We all agreed on the looks but my ds took a bite, grimaced and said These have sunflower seeds in them, don't they? Ah, how could I deny the accusation. His wife sighed and agreed. It was plain old traditional (boring?) oatmeal cookies or none at all.

Fortunately, I have a 13 year old grandson who knows what to say...for free food. I hope he enjoyed them and I promise to make some REAL oatmeal cookies one of these days. But thank you Booberry! I liked them!


Oatmeal Scotchies with Sunflower Seeds

3/4 cup all purpose flour (92 grams)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda ( 2.5 ml)
1/2 teaspoon salt (2.5 ml)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (114 grams)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (98 g)
1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed (98 g)
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla (5 ml)
1 1/2 cups oats (126 g)
1/2 cup roasted sunflower seed kernels (60 g) – I used salted
3/4 cup butterscotch chips (126 g)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (180 degrees C).

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Cream butter and both sugars using high speed of an electric mixer, scraping sides of bowl often. Add egg and vanilla and beat for 30 seconds. Add flour mixture and stir until absorbed, then stir in oats, sunflower seeds and butterscotch chips.

Drop by generously rounded teaspoonfuls (3/4 inch mound) onto ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten tops slightly and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown around edges.

Makes about 3 dozen

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thank you for reminding me about the cookies!
I posted the recipe, you can play around with the sugar.
http://talkmorelater.blogspot.com/
Thanks and enjoy!
I like your site, I'll poke around this afternoon.
h.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts